Simply Cat Breeds


Information on Cat Breeds from A to Z
Home Cat Breeds Cat Articles About Us Awards
 

Top 10 Deadliest Household Plants


 

dandelion123.jpgOwning a pet is a hard job and sometimes even the things we don't think are a hazard can be deadly to our pets. If you own any of the following plants, make sure they are kept in a place that is well out of kitty range or better yet, get rid of them entirely.

 

If you suspect your pet has eaten one of the plants listed below, take them to the vet immediately!

 

Azalea


The beautiful flowers hail from the Rhododendron family and can have serious consequences if ingested by a cat. Eating just a few leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling, it can also cause abdominal pain and stomach cramping. Pets that eat these plants need immediate medical attention or they can fall into a coma and die.

 

Daffodil


Daffodils contain Lycorine which can trigger vomiting. Eating the plant parts, flower, or bulb can cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain and possible heart and lung problems.

 

Tulips


These flowers contain lactones which are very concentrated in the bulbs. When the plants and bulbs are ingested, they can cause irritation in the mouth and esophagus with drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. If much of the bulb is ingested there may be changes in heart rate and breathing.

 

Crocus


Both the spring and autumn varieties of this plant can be harmful to your pets, but it the autumn variety that is the most deadly. The Autumn Crocus contains Colchicine making it highly toxic. It can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and failure, and respiratory failure. If you are unsure of the difference between the spring and autumn varieties, don't guess just get to the vet!

 

Foxglove


Also known as Digitalis, is very easily fatal for cats upon ingestion. The entire plant is poisonous and if you cut some and bring them inside, whatever water you have placed them in will be toxic as well. Symptoms include vomiting and excessive drooling, slow pulse immediately following ingestion followed by a rapid heart beat. Ingestion causes cardiac arrhythmia which can lead to hypotension, collapse, shock and ultimately death.

 

Lilly of the Valley


With symptoms very similar to those seen in Foxglove poisoning, the Lilly of the Valley can also cause seizures. Pets that have been seen to eat these should be taken to the vet immediately.

 

Sago Palms


Very popular in the southern portions of the United States and other tropical climates, just a few seeds from this plant can cause kidney and liver failure, seizures and in some cases death. The same is true for the plant parts and leaves.

 

Lilly's including Tiger, Easter, Japanese, and Day


Lilly's can be considered the number one most poisonous plant to cats. Ingestion of this plant can lead to kidney failure. All parts of the plant are toxic. Cats that ingest them will be lethargic, appear to lack appetite or be especially thirsty. If left untreated, it can cause kidney failure within 72 hours after ingestion.

 

Oleander


Oleaders are just as toxic to pets as they are to humans. Ingestion will cause severe vomiting and can bring the heart to a complete stop causing death.

 

Monkshood


This plant causes disruption in the nerve impulses in small doses and in large doses completely stops the nerves from communicating with the body. It also causes vomiting and excessive drooling. Some animals may appear to go blind.  

 

 

Related Articles

 

Tips For Managing Feline Arthritis
Chronic Renal Failure
Declawing Your Cat
Emergency Symptoms in Your Cat
Cats and Eye Inflammation
Cats - Dealing With Fleas
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease
Cats and Gastritis
Cats and Heartworms
Hyperthyroidism In Cats
Is My Cat In Heat?
Quick Guide to Feline Leukemia
Common Skin Problems in Cats
Best Flea Control For Cats
Cats and Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
Common Causes for Cat Vomiting
A Personal Tale of The Amazing Cancer Cat
When to Euthanize Your Cat
Managing a Diabetic Cat